5.05.2007

coachella - day two

My Coachella adventure, part 2

After learning our lesson the hard way, we arrived to the polo fields before any of the bands even started their sets!

We caught Fields first. I love this time of day because the crowds are pretty sparse and there's room to sit or lay down in the performance tents and listen to the bands -- very relaxing. I remember thinking that the band sounded good, but I don't remember any of the songs or what they sounded like, or what they looked like.

You would infer then that they were less than spectacular. Maybe. But I think I miss a lot at Coachella performances because I am easily distracted by concertgers walking around in their Underoos, checking out all the tattoos, reading witty T-shirts, admiring all the beautiful people, gazing at the gorgeous scenery, reviewing my schedule over and over and over, etc.... It's the most relaxing time of my year, but it also tends to be the craziest because I don't want to miss anything.

And undoubtedly, I do. Everyone does. There are more than 100 bands. There are 60,000 people walking around. And I want to catch as many songs from as many artists as possible, so I am always contemplating my next move. Will it be to the Mojave or Gobi tent? Is the blister on the inner arch of my foot getting worse? Do I have enough sun block on? Did I miss a call from a fellow Coachie? Do I have any more Life Savers?

Next up was Fountains of Wayne at the Coachella Stage. They went on at 2:30, and the sweat was literally rolling down my face, my neck, my back. I started to feel a bit woozy and needed water. I'm not sure why, but this year's setup seemed to lack a few tents. To get water, you had to go all the way into one of the food areas. And by the way, where were the merch tents? Everyone in our group has purchased fun shirts, purses, barrettes, skirts, pins, etc. at a booth or two. Hell, we even stopped at an Herbalife vendor last year. This year, the indie commerce was minimal.

Fountains of Wayne, I can't neglect to say, put on a solid performance with songs from their new CD and old favorites like "Radiation Vibe." Devan, Kristen and I enjoyed the performance from the grassy knoll, while Christy found shade next to the sound booth and worked on her embroidered burpcloths. I wonder if the baby whose spit-up is wiped with the cute elephant burpcloth will know it was made in the middle of the desert while people danced to indie pop.

After the set, I grabbed some water, and we joined Christy in the shade, which proved a great spot to watch Regina Spektor, who really won over the crowd. I will refrain from falling into the trap of comparing her to Tori Amos because she's a singer-songwriter with a very distinctive voice who writhes on a piano bench. But really, she does remind me of Tori because she appears kind of fragile until you listen to the lyrics she's belting out. Amazing performance!

Then came one of my major conflicts of the festival. Travis and Peter Bjorn and John were playing at the same time. I love Travis. The Man Who is one of my all-time favorite albums. But Peter Bjorn and John's Writer's Block is one of my favorite albums of the year. I went for PB&J. Because I got to the Mojave Tent in time to see the end of Hot Chip -- Excellent! -- I was able to grab a good spot when the crowd turned between sets.

I loved the Swedes! They played an acoustic version of "Amsterdam," and when the woman from The Shout Out Louds joined the band onstage to sing "Young Folks," the place went absolutely crazy. The song usually begins with whistling, but not this time. It was almost as if everyone was smiling too hard to be able to whistle. So by the time the next "whistle interlude" came in, you could literally feel the excitement and anticipation of the crowd.

Our whole group met up again for The Decemberists at the Outdoor Stage. We were way in the back just relaxing on the lawn and enjoying the music. If I stood, I could see the crazy whale on stage during the final song.

It's funny because usually, I'd be focused completely on the music and antics going on between bandmates on the stage, but sitting around with my friends is something I can't typically do at a Decemberists show, so I guess you go with the flow.


Next up, CocoRosie at the Gobi Tent. I was really excited about this show because their sound and style is so unique. A young guy at my office said my CD sounded like cats crying, but I just think they are an acquired taste. Unfortunately, it wasn't their night. The ladies seemed to be having problem with their equipment and were yelling to people off stage. The odd images displayed on the screen behind them were enough to keep fans enthralled for a bit, but the band seemed to lose some steam in their frustration, and we reluctantly left a bit early to catch the second half of Arcade Fire on the Coachella Stage.

I saw the Arcade Fire at Coachella in 2005, when their stellar performance in all its controlled chaos became the darlings of that year's festival. Once I was even in earshot of the stage, I questioned why I allowed myself to miss any of the show. The band is truly fantastic live -- maybe even more impressive than in the studio. They really do define the Coachella experience. You become almost oblivious to the thousands of people around you and the fact that you smell bad, look worse and are nursing aching feet. You just dance. Swing your arms around like no one can see you, sing a little too loudly and hope that your feelings of freedom and contentment never end. Then, you realize you have to pee, and remember that means another visit to the portable, non-flushable pot o' gold.

I caught some of Blonde Redhead after that. They sounded great, and the vintage image of the four-legged woman playing tennis on their CD shone on the screen behind them. Even from afar, they looked and sounded like indie rock gods.

Red Hot Chili Peppers played the Coachella Stage next. The first time I saw the Peppers live was at the Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans in 1991. Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins opened. Yep, killer show. The show was electric and kind of changed my life. Sixteen years later, the band still rocks. But when I first saw them, they seemed dangerous and sexy, funky and edgy like nothing I'd heard before. Today, not so much. I was kind of disappointed that I missed experiencing something new, like Sparklehorse or LCD Soundsystem during the set time.

The Good, The Bad and The Queen closed out my Day 2 on the Outdoor Stage. It marked the first time seeing Damon Albarn live, and he sounded just like he does in my earphones. He has such a gorgeous voice. Mike is such a huge fan of his, it was fun just seeing him so excited. Just like being around James when he talks about Bjork -- I think we all love music so much that we understand the crazy anticipation of seeing your favorite band, and it's just as fun when it's you or your Coachie friend.

No comments: