7.26.2007

it's on my list

When I first moved to Orlando, I heard about the jazz strolls at Leu Gardens, and I thought it sounded so romantic. A moon-lit evening with requited love and live music under the stars sounds lovely, doesn't it? There are even candles lining the sidewalks!

Ten years later, I still haven't had the planets align and actually be dating someone at the time Leu Gardens was hosting its little love fest. Now, I have the opportunity (oh joy!) to add to my list of wonderful ideas to, if I may quote Kool & The Gang, cherish the love here in O'do.

Here's one that will be just as tricky -- having a date on the same day as a shuttle launch that won't be scrubbed because of astroaut intoxication.

A Day Away Kayak Tours offers outdoorsy couples the chance to paddle up a canal to a site that's only seven miles from the launch pad and offers an unobstructed view of the shuttle's ascent. Yes, it's a two-person kayak, and, yes, ou might even see a manatee. It's $30 a person.

I better get my Match.com profile ready because the next opportunity is on Aug. 7. If it all works out, I'll be at the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge with someone who's a lot older and heavier than their online photo.

There's also something called "Moonlight Paddles." I'm not sure what that is, but if my online match also spends time in the S&M chat room, then my stock is gonna skyrocket.

By the way, the Leu Gardens Annual Fall Jazz Stroll will be held at Leu Gardens on Nov. 3 and dates are not required. Instead of walking hand-in-hand, you can pop a squat on the lawn with your picnic basket and declare your independence.

3 comments:

Beta Mike said...

Wow! Sounds our planets were aligned this weekend...I went kayaking!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie I love this post. i can't tell you how many times I have thought " that would be so romantic", when visiting a location or attending an event. If you don't find that older, heavier fellow on match, I would love to declare independence with you at Jazz Stroll. I have yet to make it to the gardens.

Ryan Price said...

I'm not sure we know each other, but you're my twitterfriend and we both went to ELLA fest...? So hello, I'm Ryan. Anyway, I would totally go on a platonic jazz walk with you - my girlfriend lives in England until July, so I've got free time.