2.03.2009

friday's coachella picks, part two

How in the world will I fit all of this in to one day?

The Crystal Method
You know them, and you know the song - "Name of the Game." That was years ago, and I haven't followed them, but I'm sure it will be a great set.
WATCH: the video

The Airborne Toxic Event

I learned about this L.A. band very, very recently after reading Carrie Brownstein's excellent column NPR: Monitor Mix. According to guest columnist Sean Wilsey ...
"TATE is a five-piece band, with a single female member (the violinist), and in "Sometime Around Midnight" it's the woman who makes the first move: "She walks up and asks how you are / So you can smell her perfume / You can see her lying naked in your arms."

There's some kind of hookup in the next few lines, but things plummet messily downhill until "you feel hopeless and homeless and lost in the haze of the wine." Soon she ends it: "Then she leaves, with someone you don't know / But she makes sure you saw her / She looks right at you and bolts / As she walks out the door, your blood boiling your stomach in ropes / Oh, and when your friends say, 'What is it? You look like you've seen a ghost!' "
I love it! I think they are going to top my Friday must-see list ... along with Conor, of course.
WATCH: "Sometime Around Midnight"
WATCH: "Does This Mean You're Moving On?"

The Black Keys
I saw The Black Keys open for someone at Hard Rock Live. I can't remember who they opened for, but I do remember how this band floored me. The lead singer approached the mic, and his raspy Jonny Lang-esque voice kicked my ass. How do two guys make so much beautiful noise? They are perfect for rocking out in the desert.
LISTEN: "Breaks"

The Hold Steady
LISTEN: "Sequestered in Memphis"

The Presets
This Australian dance punk duo reminds me of an early '80s new wave band.
LISTEN: "This Boy's in Love"
I'm intrigued.

The Ting Tings
Although they are pretty well known already, I think a stellar Coachella performance may send them into the stratosphere.
LISTEN:"That's Not My Name"

We Are Scientists
I would seriously pay money just to be there for the onstage banter. The sexiness of witty intelligence trumps simple hotness, and the music rocks. Go to the Web site and work out your abs with some high-energy laughter. Did I mention that Keith Murray strongly resembles Conor Oberst? That's just lagniappe!
LISTEN: "Inaction"

White Lies
Another new find for me, White Lies is a London band that's spending some time on top of the U.K. charts. They remind me of something between Interpol and The National.
LISTEN: "Unfinished Business"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Ting Tings play a song for a break/commercial for the Noggin channel (Ashley's cartoon channel).