12.27.2005

Is it 2006 yet? How about now?

When 2005 began, my mom said, "I don't like odd-numbered years. They are bad luck."

I, the self-righteous know-it-all at times, told my mom how silly she was and that there was nothing to worry about. Twelve months later, I can admit I was wrong. 2005 has been a pretty rocky year. Hurricane Katrina, as I have now seen first-hand, devastated the City of New Orleans and wiped out entire cities of Mississippi. It was enough to cause my friends and family members to scatter across the United States, and my parents may move away for good. Friends and family members of mine are living in FEMA trailers while their homes are gutted. They've lost all their appliances, furniture, clothes and sense of security. Then, hurricanes Rita and Wilma left trails of destruction, too. The war in Iraq continues with no end in sight, I paid more than $3 a gallon for gas, terrorists bombed buses and subways in London, Sandra Day O'Connor announced her retirement from the Supreme Court, and George Dubya started a second term in the White House.

Can't wait for 2006, right? Well, you're going to have to add a second to that countdown on Dec. 31. Wait a sec for leap into 2006.

According to the article, "A leap second is added to keep uniform timekeeping within 0.9 second of the Earth's rotational time, which can speed up or slow down because of many factors, including ocean tides. The first leap second was added on June 30, 1972, according to NIST, an arm of the U.S. Commerce Department."

To be fair, 2005 was pretty good to me. My parents survived Hurricane Katrina with barely a roof shingle missing, I attended my first Coachella Festival, got a brand new MINI Cooper named Tallulah, started taking Sign Language classes with a kick-ass teacher, saw snow for the very first time on my first trip to Canada, met Conor Oberst, started my own blog, etc. etc. Brad got a new job and bought his first home, Christy and Tom got a new home and a dog named "Polly," and I spent lots of quality time with my friends and family.

Regardless, 2006, you have a lot to live up to.

No comments: