3.30.2008

get your banana seat over to bikes, beans & bordeaux


This weekend, my good friends Jamie & Rob introduced me to a new place in Winter Park that's a real gem. Bikes, Beans and Bordeaux is located on Corrine Drive, in the strip mall just east of Winter Park Avenue. It's just skipping distance from Park Ave CDs and Stardust.

I met Jamie & Rob there for dinner before catching Spamalot at the Bob Carr. The show, by the way, was hysterical and was a definite crowd-pleaser. I've never seen a standing ovation begin immediately after the curtain falls. Usually at Bob Carr, it takes a while for people to start getting off their butts to show their appreciation. Apparently, British humor goes a long way with Orlandoians.

But back to Bikes, Beans and Bordeaux, which the owners refer to as B3 on the Web site. I got there a bit late thanks to the gridlocked parking lot known as I-4, but it was great timing for me, as the appetizer had just arrived. The Hummus Wheel. I love hummus. And this hummus was delicious. The pita bread was baked in some kind of buttery delight, and there were carrots, pickles, celery and zucchini all sliced and fresh for dipping. I had no idea how good carrots and hummus would be together. Yum!

I had half of a turkey sandwich (on the menu as Tyler Turkey, a.k.a. The Floyd) and a bowl of black bean soup. Both were good and filling -- not spectacular, but solid. After the show, we returned for dessert. My friends each enjoyed a cupcake, and I indulged in the best chai latte I've had outside of Starbucks. And dare I say, I think it was better than Starbucks.

The owners are big cycling fans, and the theme is evident in the decorations and the menu. Even the widescreen television is always tuned in to a bike race somewhere in the world. The location of the month's big race is also the home of the featured beers that month -- very clever.

BTW, B3 has a couple of comfy sofas and free wi-fi. And the employees there Saturday night were lovely. They fit in perfectly with the relaxed atmosphere of the cafe -- very laid back and kind. Just one thing to note -- you need to go up to the counter to order, and they'll bring your food to you. Yeah, I didn't realize that at first.

B3's hours
Monday - Closed
Tuesday-Thusday - 7 a.m.-10 p.m.
Friday-Saturday - 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
Sunday - 7 a.m.-3 p.m.

Support local businesses!

No comments: