4.27.2008

Day 3


Two down, one more to go. Saturday was a lot hotter and many more fans poured onto the polo fields. I finally saw the Speedo guys that I see each year, and I finally saw the purple one. Prince was amazing, and I am sure he'd tell you that himself. He started the longest set in Coachella history (I'm making that up, I don' really know -- but it ended at 1 a.m., way past the midnight noise ordinance.) with "You are at the coolest place on Earth tonight." I'll have to write more about his set, but I just need to add that he covered Radiohead's "Creep" and transformed a self-loathing loser anthem from "I" to "You" with lyrics like "I wish you were special." and "You're a creep, you're a weirdo."

It was also the night of special guests -- Mark Ronson delivered with Tim Burgess from the Charlatans, Kenna, as well as the lead singers of the Klaxons, Kaiser Chiefs and Kelly Osborne - where has she been? Other special guests were unknown to me, but they were great little surprises that made for an outstanding set. Kelly and I were right up front, so I captured lots of video I'll share soon.

Today is supposed to be the hottest day of the weekend with temps in the low 100s. It just adds to the amazing adventure that is Coachella. I need to soak up as much as I can today because the real world is calling, and I need to return soon.

No comments: