4.11.2010

gil scott-heron


About a month or two ago, I was surfing the Paste Magazine Web site and came upon an article about Gil Scott-Heron and listened to a few of the tracks on the site. I was immediately enthralled.

The 61-year old just released an amazing CD called I'm New Here, and he has a heck of a history you can read all about on Wikipedia. His best-known work is a spoken-word jam called "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised," which has woven its way into the modern-day vernacular, regardless of whether people are aware of its origin.

One of my old favorites of his is "Whitey on the Moon."
A rat done bit my sister Nell.
(with Whitey on the moon)
Her face and arms began to swell.
(and Whitey's on the moon)
I can't pay no doctor bill.
(but Whitey's on the moon)
Ten years from now I'll be payin' still.
(while Whitey's on the moon)
The man jus' upped my rent las' night.
('cause Whitey's on the moon)
No hot water, no toilets, no lights.
(but Whitey's on the moon)


The new CD is dark and quite riveting. This little discovery made me feel like a changed woman. I couldn't stop listening to the tracks I could find online; it was like listening to Ani DiFranco for the first time. I felt like it was a gateway to a whole other consciousness.

Then the coolest thing happened. I realized he's on the bill for Coachella. He's now on my list of absolutely must-see artists for the festival. I'm expecting nothing less than a life-changing experience.

No comments: