6.01.2007

i'm sick of being sick

I am ailing. I've been home sick for nearly four days. I have never missed three days straight of work, or school, or anything! For the last three days, I have barely left my bed. Ughhhhh.

Dr. K, you've arrived just in time.

No, I'm not really seeking any life-ending assistance, but I am happy to see that Dr. Kevorkian is a free man again.

Being in bed alone for three and a half days, I have had some time to click around the Internet, and here are some of the things I have found.

There's a new "English-humor-influenced" advertising platform for our UK friends. Headlines like "Dry? We were never dry." I gotta say, that's pretty genius. The horrible stories of Hurricane Katrina won't attract the number of tourists the city needs to stay ... ahem ... afloat. So, I guess enough time has passed that a little tongue-in-cheek" humor is OK. Here are some of the ads ...






Matthew Pryor, of The Get Up Kids (one of my all-time favorites) and the New Amsterdams, said he quit TGUK because he wanted to spend more time with his family in Kansas. You can't get out that easily, Matt. That music bug never reases its grip. Now, Matt has entered the best of both worlds, recording If You Ever See an Owl as part of the band The Terrible Twos.

According to Vagrant's Web site, Matt said, “My initial wave of inspiration was just to do something different,” he explains, “something fun that there’d be no expectations for. And then I started thinking about all the children’s music my kids were listening to and how a lot of it really wasn’t very good. I think that’s because, in a lot of cases, you have adults assuming what kids like and then trying to manufacture that. With The Terrible Twos, I just wrote what I liked, and as it turned out, my kids liked it, too.”

Here's a sample lyric from the song “Pizza and Chocolate Milk”:

“Spaghetti, yes/ I want spaghetti on my plate/ Don’t try to force me to eat vegetables I hate/ You may think I’m kidding/ That I won’t win/ If I keep screaming, you’ll cave in.”

I love it! Between this and the Lullaby Renditions series (Nine Inch Nails, Bjork, No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins) (Thanks for the tip, James!) I am already introducing my young niece to good music and the bands that made a difference in my life.

Stream music from the Terrible Twos at CDBaby.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome, steph. thanks for the heads up on this cd. i'll have to check it out.

hope you're feeling better!