6.09.2007

old navy introduces sexism to infants

I went to the new Old Navy store near the Mall at Millenia today, hoping to find great bargains on some summer clothes, and instead, I left the store with my blood boiling. I saw something very disturbing.
Stripes are slimming


The description of the little onesie read like this: "Sweet animal graphics and sassy slogans make baby's bodysuit wildly cute! Stylish zig-zag stitching and puff short sleeves add a girlish twist, with snaps in back and along inseam for easy dressing."

What is sassy about a 3-month old being self-conscious about her weight? Seriously. I think about my little niece, who is the most beautiful thing in the world, and I don't want her to grow up with body-image issues or feelings of unworth because of a sexist culture. And moreover, I don't want society implanting those thoughts in her innocent little head. Her Buddha rolls are beautiful.

Right beside that monstrosity on the clothing rack was this little number ...
Bat your eyelashes


Again, Old Navy is reinforcing the stereotype that females get what they want not by working hard and earning it, but by using their sex appeal. It's an ill-conceived product line, and I can't believe it made it all the way to the stores.

But Old Navy doesn't stop there. When I went on the company's Web site to pull the image of the sexist apparel, I found more examples of inappropriate and uncool clothing.

This cute little number was sold only in the boys' section ...
Future class president


And this one was sold only in the girls' section ...
Future American Beauty Queen


You don't have to be a card-carrying member of the National Organization for Women to see what's happening here. Is that what American expects of my young niece? That the best she can hope for is to score big in the swimsuit competion so she can be a spokeswoman for curing diseases? While the little boy who laid just a few feet from her in the hospital nursery will be where the power players are, making the real difference.

And let's be fair, Old Navy is only about the boys who are "real boys."
MACHO just like Daddy
I'm not a girl


I don't believe that I am over-reacting here. Real change can't happen until we acknowledge that these things make a difference. Just because the baby doesn't know what's written on her chest, other young girls and boys can read it, and it reinforces the culture of valuing men and women differently. Do you remember when Abercrombie thought it would make a profit off of sexist T-shirts that read "Who needs brains when you have these"? (See previous "girls kick Abercrombie's ass" post.) I think another girlcott is in order. It's irresponsible, Old Navy, and you should be ashamed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was expecting to see "not yet a woman" on the back of that last onesie.

Great post!

Beta Mike said...

I have to say, this almost seems impossible to believe until you realize what a silly company they are. I am surprised they don't have one that says "Pro Life Success Story"

Anonymous said...

Why don't you all RELAX, if you don't like the t-shirts don't buy them for your children. Why don't you allocate your time to a more worthy cause!

stephanie said...

Understand that sexism, homophobia and other forms of intolerance and inequality are the roots of poverty and other "worthy causes." That's my whole point. It's all related in the way humans treat each other.

Anonymous said...

anonymASS... it's quite obvious that you don't have any children of your own...let alone any daughters, or you'd see why
putting these kinds of slogans on children's clothing is just plain
wrong.

as for your comments on the VIP show, wake up and smell the misogyny. clearly YOU have too much time on your hands if you're supporting such crap with your viewing hours.

steph, people who refuse to put their name with their comments really aren't worthy of the time it takes you to respond.

Anonymous said...

hey,

i was about to put almost the exact same post up on my blog (as my first post!)

i couldn't believe it either when i saw those onesies. the most insidious, i think, is the "stripes are slimming."

so gross. and sad.

Unknown said...

I agree with you 100%.

But please don't call it a "girlcott." It sounds cute, but it makes opponents to our cause--like Anonymous, there--think we are stupid. (The word comes from a bunch of people deciding Captain Charles Boycott was an asshole and refusing any dealings with him, way back in 1880.)

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I can not believe how much time you all have on your hands. I agree with the above statement that there are more serious matters to talk about and try to change....Do you have any idea how many of our men and women have died in Iraq over the last year, month, week even! It's a T SHIRT!! Get over it!

Anonymous said...

While Old Navy's parent company, Gap Inc., has donated more than $72 million in cash grants since 2000 to nonprofits ranging from AIDS health care and low-income housing to inner city school programs, I agree that these baby clothes are tasteless and very poorly conceived. I emailed their feedback site at custserv@oldnavy.com and let them hear about it. There is also a toll-free phone number for product feedback, if you have time to call and speak with a real person. Check the Gap Inc. corporate web site. Good luck!