6.06.2007

When did VH1 Classic become nostalgic post modern?

Where have I been? I just discovered that VH1 Classic (Bright House Channel 172 in Orlando) broadcasts old episodes of "120 Minutes" -- or at least videos that played during the show's run. I stumbled across it while searching for something in the "guide" mode. I set my DVR for it -- early Sunday morning, 4-6 a.m. The first video t was Peter Murphy's "Cuts You Up," which happens to be one of the songs that defined my 1990. I had an unnatural obsession with that song. It was my gateway song to a whole world of better alternative music.

Here's the playlist of the episode. It runs the gamut of '80s New Wave to '90s grunge. This is why nostalgia can be a dangerous drug. I want my old flannel shirt.
  • "Cuts You Up" - Peter Murphy
  • "Carnival" - Natalie Merchant
  • "Doctor Doctor" - Thompson Twins
  • "Never Enough" - The Cure
  • "Weird Science" - Oingo Boingo
  • "Do You Love Me?" - Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
  • "Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead
  • "Kiss the Dirt (Falling Down a Mountain)" - INXS (I always loved the way Michael Hutchence danced.)
  • "Evenflow" - Pearl Jam
  • "Wonderland" - XTC
  • "Round & Round" - New Order
  • "Grey Cell Green" - Ned's Atomic Dustbin (Ahhhh, great song, awesome concert!)
  • "Stand & Deliver" - Adam and the Ants
  • "Sheila Take a Bow" - The Smiths
  • "Vogue" - KMFDM
  • "I Want Candy" - Bow Wow Wow
  • "Rain in the Summertime" - The Alarm (I had this on one of my favorite mix tapes.)
  • "There She Goes" - The La's (The first time I felt cool buying a cassette tape. The guy at the counter called out to his friend that I was buying The La's. Maybe they were making fun of me, but I felt like a cool little kid outside of the mainstream because it wasn't crazy popular at the time.)
  • "Mexican Radio" - Wall of Voodoo
  • "Driver 8" - R.E.M. (Classic!)
  • "Who Was in My Room Last Night" - Butthole Surfers (Or, as they identified them on the pop station in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, during my college years, The BH Surfers.)
  • "Turning Japanese" - The Vapors
  • "Wild Wild Life" - Talking Heads (Starring a thin John Goodman)
  • "Policy of Truth" - Depeche Mode (Ahhhh! Isn't Violator the soundtrack to everyone's high school years?)
  • "Beautiful World" - Devo
  • "Big in Japan" - Alphaville (I haven't heard this one in years! It's the definition of an '80s video!)

Incredible! I feel like I'm right back in high school with no self confidence, a zit-ridden face and the wrong shoes. Granted, it wasn't all good, but it was entertaining!

And there was something about this music that always gave me hope. I might have felt like no one understood me in college, but I knew I wasn't completely alone, partly because of music like this. Sappy, I know. But it's true. There's this bolt of electricity in my tummy when I hear certain music from that time of my life, and even though I know a lot more now than I knew then, it still conjures a very naive hopefulness that isn't altogether bad.

1 comment:

Beta Mike said...

Beautifully written, I'm hooked! DVR set to way back machine!!! Thanks for discovering this gem. It's strange the array of alternative music on this thing from dark to light to poppy.