7.10.2005

Ready, Steady, Destroy: The Art of Modern Rock



Brad and I went to this really cool event at House of Blues last night, which could have been amazing if more people would have shown up to enjoy the art and music. The turnout was terrible -- blame it on Hurricane Dennis, I guess.

There were displays set up all around the music hall with concert posters. Some were beautiful, some raunchy, some psychedellic and some alterna-cute. A bunch of the artists were there to promote their art, sell some posters, stickers and skateboards, and celebrate the book The Art of Modern Rock, which one day soon will be mine!

Although I found some really cool pieces from some of my favorite bands, I initially only wanted to buy ones that were made for the shows I actually attended. I purchased a poster of the Bright Eyes / Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter / Neva Dinova show that I attended at House of Blues. I already have one for Pearl Jam in West Palm, Bright Eyes at Firestone, and Beck at Hard Rock Live. There was a Raveonettes at the Social and a Cat Power at the Social I wanted to get, but ran out of cash. I think I'm going to order them on the Web site.

www.luredesigninc.com
www.eyenoise.com

Check them out and support local artists!!

One other really cool thing happened. When Brad and I walked in, we went right over to the first display, and the artist there saw my Coachella T-shirt and said, "Hey, my friend designed that!" As if I could have loved that shirt anymore, to find out the artist was female -- in an obviously male-dominated industry -- set me over the top! Her name is Tara McPherson, and she's incredible! He pulled out a portfolio of her work, and there were some beautiful pieces for Sleater-Kinney, Death Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse (with the same little rabbit aliens on my Coachella shirt) and a whole bunch of others.

Her site is TaraMcPherson.com, and it's so wonderful, it makes me happy! Here's some of the ones we saw last night. There are so many cool ones, I might have to break down and buy my favorites, even if I didn't go to the show!!!





No comments: