2.25.2006

don knotts, 1924-2006


Mr. Furley has gone on to meet the big landlord in the sky, and I want to take a moment to reflect on an actor I loved as a child and who can still make me laugh.

As a child, my brother and I loved Don Knotts in films like The Apple Dumpling Gang and the Herbie movies. One of my favorites was The Incredible Mr. Limpet. It's a hybrid of live-action and animation that was all heart. Mr Limpet decided he wanted to be a fish -- I don't remember why, but it was probably because he felt like he didn't fit in, longed for a simpler life, and all the other reasons we humans believe the grass is greener on the other side.

I don't recall the whole plot, although I doubt it was intricate. According to IMDB.com, "As a talking fish he assists the US Navy in hunting German submarines during World War II." I kind of remember that now that I've read it, but I mostly remember it being very emotional. I'd like to watch it again.

As I grew older, of course, there was "Three's Company." I LOVED that show! Mr. Furley had the greatest expressions. He was hysterical -- especially when he was being complemented. Remember the way he'd breathe in through his nose, neck cocked to the side, with that "aw shucks!" look?

And of course, his great expression of surprise -- which usually had something to do with a misunderstanding involving Jack Tripper. Talk about physical comedy! They are both such classics.

Anyway, I have a bit of a headache and can't seem to write anything the way I want to tonight. Just know that we loved you, Mr. Knotts, and for all the right reasons. I haven't even begun to mention all your great accomplishments as an actor. You were an amazing comedian, and you will always be remembered that way.

1 comment:

Beta Mike said...

I am so saddened by the loss of our friend Don Knotts. He goes beyond the typical celebrity death, I actually feel like I've lost a grandpa.