2.16.2006

glittery gloves, barbarosa and warming effects

What's with all the Michael Jackson covers? Earlier this week, I posted a link to Petra Haden's version of "Thriller," and now, I direct you to berkeleyplace for Belle & Sebastian's take on "Billie Jean." I feel a crotch grab coming on.


Speaking of covers, they are a delicious indulgence for me, and I've stumbled across quite a few lately. Back at berkeleyplace, there's a blog post with Death Cab for Cutie covering Bjork's "All is Full of Love," Mike Doughty's version of Guns 'n' Roses' "Paradise City" and other little gems.


When I was a wee little girl, my parents had a rather large photo of my brother and me at age 4 framed and hanging in the living room on the wall above the TV. It was one of those Olan Mills photos that was a total scam. They invite you in for a free session and a free photo. But of course, when you return to pick it up, they frame these life-size versions, offer up oodles of wallet-size photos for the grandparents, and pretty soon, you just spent a few hundred dollars on top of that free coupon.

That photo hung on the wall forever, until one day, my father replaced it with an intricate portrait of Willie Nelson. Yes, Willie, the pot-smoking, braided-ponytail-wearing, genius of a country singer. I grew up listening to Willie because that's what my parents listened to. The portrait was a black and white drawing of "Barbarosa," Willie's character in the movie of the same name. I distinctly remember my dad pointing out a hole in Barbarosa's hat and telling me that it was a bullet hole.

Wow, I thought, and I stared in disbelief. This dude was cool, invincible. Little did I realize that 25 years later, I would still be thinking Willie Nelson was a kick-ass guy.

Willie just released a new song exclusively on iTunes called "Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly (Fond of Each Other)." It's probably the first love song about gay cowboys. It includes the line:

Well, the cowboy may brag about things that he's done with his women,
But the ones who brag loudest are the ones that are most likely queer.


Willie, you can hang your cowboy hat in my home any day.



One more random observation for the evening. I went to see Brokeback Mountain recently, and I thought it was somewhat odd that the commercial played right before the previews was for K-Y Warming Liquid. You know the ad -- it's the one where the wife gets her husband's nose out of the newspaper when she says "Warming effect."

Betamike, Christy and I discussed the icky factor of this commercial months and months ago. And yet, there it was on the big screen before the "gay" movie. A few weeks later, Brad and I went to see Imagine Me & You, a sweet little flick about a woman who unexpectedly falls for another woman just as she's about to marry the love of her life.

Hmmm... interesting. I guess the marketing geniuses believe their gay -- or at least liberal-minded -- audiences are the most sexually adventurous?

No comments: