6.10.2006

gay days 2006

I've had a hell of a week at work, so I'm a bit behind in publishing. Sorry about that!

This weekend blew by like a big rainbow flag waving over O’do. The City Beautiful was just that.

There’s a spirit during GayDays that cannot be denied. Each year, that spirit grows stronger, prouder and more confident. It’s very empowering to walk in to the Magic Kingdom and see men holding hands, Minnie Mouse waving to groups of gay men from her float in the parade and families enjoying their parks with their children. Although they may not fulfill the narrow definition of family for which President Bush campaigns as he kisses the asses of ultra-Conservatives nationwide, it is, in fact, a beautiful, loving family.

Marty came in town for the big weekend with a couple of fun friends from Seattle. We walked in, grabbed some water to keep us hydrated, and before you knew it, we started seeing people we knew. I ran into a very dapper-looking Jeff Lindberg working on Main Street U.S.A. A few steps toward Cinderella Castle, and we saw about a dozen Orlando Gay Chorus members, including my friends Jim and Rob. Each was wearing a purple shirt – for the royalty they are – and an original hat each put together the night before.

It was crowded, hot and humid, but what do you expect for the first weekend in June? Still, we were able to ride the attractions we wanted and catch the parade. I took some photos, but I used my print camera, so it will be a while before I get my photos back.

As you probably know, President Bush called a press conference the following Monday to express his own intolerance and homophobia. I think about some of my friends who have strong, beautiful relationships, and it truly sickens and saddens me that President Bush can speak so strongly against gays and lesbians. Years from now, I am sure that people will look back on speeches like the one he gave today, and it will seem as scary, abnormal and as foreign to reality as separate drinking fountains for blacks. One generation is all it takes, and today’s young people seem more open and accepting about their sexuality than any other. That’s hope.

In the meantime, George, you can take that sanctity of marriage crap and stick it where the sun don’t shine! Nothing that two women do or two men do in the name of love will ever take anything away from the love I have for someone else. And there’s no reason that responsible, loving people should not be trusted to create their own family and their own happily ever after.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

I know I don't know ya (but through Lindy's blog I feel like I do)...but loved your entry! I have long since left Orlando and the World of Disney, but this was a most excellent recap of good ole' Gay Days.

Briguy

Beta Mike said...

Very well written!!!!