6.27.2006

this silence is going to hurt

I'm speechless.



From sleater-kinney.com ...

After eleven years as a band, Sleater-Kinney have decided to go on indefinite hiatus. The upcoming summer shows will be our last. As of now, there are no plans for future tours or recordings.

We feel lucky to have had the support of many wonderful people over the years. We want to thank everyone who has worked with us, written kind words about us, performed with us, and inspired us.

But mostly we want to extend our gratitude to our amazing fans. You have been a part of our story from the beginning. We could not have made our music without your enthusiasm, passion, and loyalty. It is you who have made the entire journey worthwhile.

With love and thanks,
Sleater-Kinney

I can't believe it. Sleater-Kinney is one of my all-time favorite bands, and I'm devastated that they're breaking up and so confused. Their last album was extremely well received critically, and they have the fan base to fill venues across the country.

They were the highlight of my Coachella, and thank God I had the chance to see them that one last time. I saw them open for Pearl Jam a couple of years ago in West Palm Beach and Tampa. I believe that those two shows were the only ones they ever played in Florida. I was so excited about the possibility of seeing them in a small venue where they would headline. But it looks like I have missed that chance.

I "discovered" Sleater-Kinney not long after I moved to Florida. It was 1997, and I bought Dig Me Out. It rocked my world, and they have kept it up, album after album. Janet Weiss inspired me to want to learn to play drums. I am so going to miss you, ladies. Thanks for making me stronger.

No comments: