11.07.2005

girls kick Abercrombie's ass

I love the feeling of empowerment. The feeling that you really can make a difference is intoxicating. Today, I am so proud of my girls in Pennsylvania -- a small group of 13 to 16-year olds took on a corporate giant, and they won!

Abercrombie & Fitch has never been accused of having a conscience. Today, they bowed to the pressure and pulled some of their most offensive T-shirts. Good work, girls! It's days like this that make my Fallopian tubes want to sing.

I am not sure what jackass, sitting around the conference room table early one morning, came up with the idea to bring back sexism in the form of cheaply made T-shirts. As he was nursing his hangover from the strip club the night before, Mr. Frat Daddy has an idea. "Let's capitalize on the same adolescent insecurity that got me and my friends laid when we were in high school!!! We'll make it cool to be a dick again!"

It is so disgusting. I saw a rather average-looking guy walking somewhere the other day with a T-shirt that read "You'll do." I was so tempted to ask the girl walking next to him if it was really OK for him to degreade her that way. And what did his mom say when he came home with his hip new tee? Was she upset? Did Dad tell her to relax as he gave him a high five? "It's just a T-shirt, and boys will be boys."

No. It's not OK. And these young girls didn't think it was OK either. And they did something about it. Just imagine what we could do if we all believed we were capable of that kind of change. Bonus points for coming up with "Girlcott" -- I love it!


Emma Blackman-Mathis, a junior at Schenley High School and co-chair of Allegheny County Girls as Grantmakers also appeared on the "Today Show" with her rainbow necklace on. The times are still a-changin', thank God!!

No comments: