11.26.2005

I wake up exhausted

Twins rock! Perhaps it’s the 10 years they’ve spent performing together, I’m not sure, but these girls have such a fun stage presence. They tell odd stories, have incredibly unique voices and can play a real kick-ass version of Springsteen’s “Dancin’ in the Dark.”

Tegan & Sara played The Social last night and put on an awesome show. The night started with Vivek Shraya, who had his skull cap pulled so low past his eyebrows, we had to stare at his nostrils whenever he wanted to look at the audience. If you had walked in, you would have thought the India version of Enrique Iglesias was performing. He had a nice voice, though it seemed a wee bit whiny. The cap was a bummer because his hair -- at least on his Web site -- seems to defy gravity. We missed out.

Next up was Rachael Cantu. I really liked her singer-songwriter vibe, but damn the kids were chatty that night, so sometimes it was hard to really hear her lyrics. She seemed to fit in better with the crowd – not that you have to be female to open for Tegan & Sara, but it just felt better. I really love seeing women perform; I’m not sure how, but I truly feel this sense of strength and –- I hate to use the word, but I think I have to. -– sisterhood just being there.

Tegan & Sara are gorgeous. Gorgeous skin, gorgeous hair, gorgeous voices and self-confidence that is gorgeous. They were light, funny and so approachable. They sounded great –- they both have unusual angelic voices that you could recognize anywhere. The other band members stayed mostly in the background, but I stared longingly at the drummer for a good portion of the night -- he looked a little like Jeff Buckley. *exhale*

It was a late show, and we got there even before the doors opened. Betamike was ill, and he had to miss the show, which broke my heart. Christy and I met Mike’s friend James Gash in line outside, and Brad and his sister, visiting from Illinois, met us inside. Christy and I met James at the Bright Eyes / The Faint show at Hard Rock Live earlier this year. He’s a Bjork-loving manager at DAK who laughed at our silliness all night. We had so much fun! (I can't wait to see the recorder on Christy's blog!!!) But Betamike, if you’re reading this, it seriously was not the same without you.

At the conclusion of the first set, Tegan, Sara and the rest of the band quietly walked over to the far left side of the stage, still completely in view, while everyone cheered for an encore. Just another example of how they never tried to be cool – they were just two Canadian women performing their hearts out because they love it. The show closed with my favorite song – “You Wouldn’t Like Me.”

Mark my words; by next year, your kid sister will be wearing a Tegan & Sara T-shirt. The awesome “Where Does the Good Go” appears on the “Grey’s Anatomy” soundtrack. I have a feeling it will end up on the next volume of that “Now That’s What I Call Music” monstrosity. Probably right after “Soul Meets Body” from Death Cab for Cutie. Those mainstream music listeners won’t know what hit them!

Don't have this in your CD collection? Go now. Buy it, you must.


Christy dropped me off at about 1:30 a.m., and we both kind of dreaded getting up just a few hours later for my highly anticipated hair appointment with Jodi. Tonight, sitting here with pin-straight hair, I can tell you it was allllllll worth it! I never brag about myself, but I have to tell you, I love my hair! Christy talked me into getting more than just highlights – getting something that would really look different. And I did. J

My hair is layered and short in the back, and it gets longer toward the front, has great highlights, and I have bangs!!! Strangely, I think Christy and I now have the same haircut. I can’t wait to see what happens tomorrow when I let it go curly! Simple pleasures, right?!?

2 comments:

Beta Mike said...

Thank you for your amazing write up Steph, just as good as being there. I miss it when our jam doesn't jelly. But I am super glad that the bonds of friendship held strong so James could have a great time!!! Thanks for being so sweet!

Anonymous said...

...and thank you all for inviting me into your lives! I had a fantastic time, learned some new words (doppelganger), relived recorder memories, and discovered I had sidekick-envy. You were missed betamike!