8.28.2005

Forget hunkering down, they're getting out

I think I need some more prayers, kids. Katrina is now a Category 5 storm, and I can't stop watching CNN as they warn about the catastrophic damage and loss of life. There's a mandatory evacuation for all of New Orleans.

My tummy hurts. I need to get out of here and go somewhere to get my mind off it. I can't do anything to help, and I'm not getting anything done.

My mom called from my brother's house in Houston. Like me, they all woke up surprised by the news that Katrina had intensified into a Category 5 hurricane, and it was still headed right for the Crescent City. Mom said she started thinking about all the things she would have packed in the car if they would have known it would be that bad. More photos, our high school yearbooks, more jewelry -- but you could ponder those things forever and never feel good about your decisions. I'm just so thankful they left so early and are safe. Some of my other friends and family members are still on the road trying to find a safe place to ride out the storm. Two of my cousins are cops, so they have to stay and work.

The winds are at 175 mph right now, and they're forecasting 20-25 foot storm surges.

I'll post again when I know more.

1 comment:

Beta Mike said...

I've been watching this all day and worrying if your mom and dad were out of there, thank you so much for posting this so I can at least know that they are safe!! Sad to think how this was us a year ago (not the level of hurricane per se but people worrying about US!)

I just have to say that my Word Verification is "crabayy"!!