8.17.2005

what’s your sign?


This week, I began attending Sign Language classes at a local church, and I LOVE it! It’s totally free, I get to spend time with Brad and Christy – who are also in the class – and I learn to communicate with people who are deaf, a skill I always wanted to learn.

But the best thing about it is that Christy is teaching it! For those of you who don’t have the great fortune of knowing the best little Sign Language interpreter in the tri-county area, Christy rocks! She is a professional Sign Language interpreter, which gives her the opportunity to have a completely different workday each day of her life.

One day she’s interpreting for a mom who's in labor in the deliver room …

... the next she’s at an Information Technology conference …

... then she’s interpreting Margaret Cho’s comedy routine …

... and the next day, she’s in a high school math class.

I hope I don’t get her in trouble, because her work is very confidential. Because Christy might be a witness to the most intimate or personal times in someone’s life, and there would be no reason for anyone to be there except that someone needs to interpret, she maintains strict confidentiality for her clients.

So, I should probably stop talking about that stuff.

The class – it was so great. In the first two-hour class, Christy and her teaching partner Mary taught nearly 40 of us the entire alphabet, the numbers 1-20 and more than 60 words!!

Since that class, I have been a fingerspelling fool! As I’m driving my beloved MINI through the streets of Orlando, I fingerspell people’s license plates, the names of their cars, street signs, billboards – it’s insanity! I can’t wait to learn more next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay!!! i had sooo much fun teaching everyone last monday. i can't wait for next week.


steph, you are wonderful. thanks so much for all of the nice things you wrote about me. :)