8.01.2005

i'm in love!

I never knew it could be like this! I've always thought it was a bit absurd to pour lots of money into a car that could be wrecked and twisted into a pile of useless metal in an instant. Cars are utilitarian. They get you from here to there.

Well, I still don't think it's a good place to be extravagant, but I'm closer to understanding why people did it. I didn't know how fun it could be to drive a car you simply love ... a car that inspires a giddy giggle when you open the door and slide into the driver's seat. Folks, I have experienced fahrfignugen -- I literally spent about 10 minutes Googling different forms of that word trying to figure out how to spell it, but to no success!

Saturday, July 30, was simply amazing. I was really nervous about picking up my car, even though I've waited patiently for about two months to pick it up. I watched her progress as she grew from a little zygote in Oxford, England, to the production line and down the "birth canal" (MINI's words, not mine) to a ship that traveled white-capped waves to reach me.

On the way to the MINI dealership, Jamie had the good sense to call my insurance agent and transfer my coverage.

The only time I've ever driven up to a railroad crossing and the train was at a total stand-still was two minutes before I was supposed to be at the MINI dealership on the other side! "Serenity now!!!"

Finally, we make it to the other side. Jamie and I approach with great anticipation, and Christy captures each moment, God love her!

THERE SHE IS!! As Christy said, the baby is just waiting for me in the nursery! Is it really mine??

Yes it is!!

I met with Christine, my sales agent to go over the final details.

I sat in my new MINI and signed away with delight!!


Jamie and Christy hop in while Christine finalizes more details. We played around taking lots of pictures!


Christine went over all the different features ... most of which I didn't even realize I would have! And of course, we had to talk about the iPod adapter!!!


I thought it was over and I would have the keys in my hot little hands, but there was more paperwork to complete, decisions to be made and checks to write. Rob was really cool, and he laughed at us silly kids trying to make the most of the momentous occasion.


Now, I finally have the keys, Christine wraps everything up, and I am ready to go!!!


Let's motor!


Somehow, all four of us squeezed in, and I drove like a maw-maw out of the dealership.


We drove straight to lunch at Dexter's in Thornton Park, and my little MINI fit right in!


The day was simply fabulous, and it didn't end there! Stay tuned for "the rest of the story"!!

Oh, and by the way ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHRISTY!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect blog, Steph. The pictures turned out well.... ah, I am sooo relieved.

Thanks for counting me as one close enough to enjoy such a momentous occasion!

Also, thanks for the plethora of birthday greetings today. YOU are the best!

I love you, dear friend.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Glad to finally see your baby. She is adorable.
And thanks to Christy you have these pictures.

Can't wait to see it in person.
Love ya,
Yamama

Anonymous said...

Ah, serenity! She is finally yours, and what a sweet little machine she is...

Congratulations - you TRULY deserve her.

Now, come pick me up! :)

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeeet!!! Love the car! I want a ride! You've probably got enough Tunes to take you to Texas, but I'll come see you soon enough! Enjoy it! Watch out for big curbs when you pull in.

Beta Mike said...

That car is so you, I somehow empath for the acid car as it wonders where you went! I am sorry that work sucked the soul out of me and I couldn't be with you on "the day." I would have sat in the trunk if I had to!