9.01.2005

Great Web sites to find info about neighborhoods

I'm not even sure who sent this to me, but I got a page tonight with the following Web address and the tip that I could find my parents' house using the site:
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

I couldn't find my parents' house, but I did see part of the levee breach on the 17th Street Canal. Now, I understand why some areas are completely full and others are dry as a bone. I thought the levee broke against the coastline of Lake Pontchartrain. It didn't. Along the canal that stretches from Lake Pontchartrain into the city, one side of it broke down, and all the water flooded the neighborhood on that side.

Anyway, the site is a bit cumbersome to use, but it's incredibly valuable.

Here's another site Darren and Stephen told me about: scipionus.con
You can't see any damage like you can in the photos on the site above, but you can easily find the street you're looking for, and users have tagged areas with information, such as "Completely dry," "Water up to second story" or "Wiped out."

Also, MoveOn.org has set up an amazing site to help people find housing. You can offer rooms or look for accommodations at this address: Hurricane Housing. The site even identifies how many people have responded to each housing offer.

Take care everyone, and thanks for your prayers.

No comments: