9.09.2005

Images of my home and others

I was driving home from work today, and I was listening to the big telethon that was being broadcast on all the major channels. If you go to the beginning of the radio dial, you can pick up some station that broadcasts CBS. I recognized Jack Nicholson;s voice right away -- I think. Was he on the show?

Anyway, he said something that hit me hard. He called New Orleans the site of the biggest natural disaster in the history of our country. That's my city, my family and friends live there. It's where I went to school -- even my college years in Mississippi.

When I got home, I saw what old Jack really meant. Thanks, Darren, for taking these pictures and bringing it home for me and my friends. We're so far away from it, but all of our hearts are right there with you.

This is my street.


This shows you the highest point the water rose in Darren's mother's house.


My dad used to work in one of the buildings in this cluster right next to the toll plaza of the Causeway bridge over Lake Pontchartrain. It's the longest bridge in the world.


Here's a couple of people at the 17th Street Canal, one of the levees that broke, causing most of the flooding in New Orleans.


17th Street Canal


17th Street Canal


If you'd like to look at more of the photos, check out these links:
Pictures of Metairie
Pictures of Darren and Shannon's home and their families' homes
More photos of Metairie
More damage and downed trees

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you post the pictures of Wade Drive on your web site? I want to send them to some people and was thinking that could be the best way for them to view them and the rest of your albums. Some people already have that website of yours.
Mom