9.16.2005

A little lagniappe makes a difference

OK, it's official; Conor Oberst was meant to be mine.

With a voice that stirs the butterflies in my tummy, Conor, the lead singer of Bright Eyes and Desapareceidos, can make me cry with just a strum of his guitar. His lyrics are truly amazing, and his music means the world to me. If you'll remember, I met this object of my post-adolescent obsessive behavior at the Acapulco restaurant in Burbank during my was-it-all-a-dream Coachella weekend.

The boy continues to inspire me. This time, he has chosen to help out my hometown family and friends by getting his indie labelmates together and producing a record to raise funds for the Red Cross' Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

And, guess what the name is!!

Lagniappe!!!

I love it! It's a word that remains on my list as possible names for my new MINI. It's a N'awlins word that means "a little something extra." Like when the guy at the seafood shop throws in a 13th boiled crab in your order of a dozen.

The album is already on iTunes, and you can order it from Saddle Creek at saddle-creek.com. When you order right form the company, they usually throw in some cool stickers and hand-written note on Saddle Creek stationery. It's like a little lagniappe!

Track listing:
Cursive – “Ten Percent to the Ten Percent”
Maria Taylor and Andy LeMaster – “Breathe”
Criteria – “Booketa”
The Elected – “San Francisco Via Chicago Blues”
Broken Spindles – “Move Away (Broken Spindles Remix)”
Cocoon (Jake Bellows and Todd Fink) – “She’s a Ghost”
Bright Eyes – “Napoleon’s Hat”
The Faint – “Hypnotised”
Orenda Fink – “No Evolution (acoustic)”
Mayday – “Footprints”
Sorry About Dresden – “Sunrise: Norfolk, Virginia”
Two Gallants – “All Your Faithless Loyalties”
The Good Life – “New Year’s Retribution”

No comments: