9.17.2005

wade drive

My mom asked me to post some of the photos Darren took of our home in Metairie on Labor Day, one week after Katrina hit. I have to be honest and say the reason I didn't post them earlier was that I felt guilty. We were unbelievably lucky, and some of my own friends and family members fared much worse. I didn't want these photos to seem insensitive.

My parents are planning to go back home on Sunday, and I pray things haven't worsened. I've already heard about people just throwing out their entire refrigerators because the mold and stench are disgusting. Here are photos of the outside.

Dad's tall birdhouse that welcomed so many purple martins fell on its side.


The back fence is leaning -- looks very familiar to us Florida kids who experienced Charley, Frances and Jeanne last year.


Dad's tool shed stayed strong through the storm. Did those old OJ plastic jugs really stay upright through 100+ mile per hour winds?


I am pretty sure my dad put up this green roof over the side of our house to create some shade where he could store our lawn mower, edger, etc.


Our newest tree in the backyard made it.




This is the deck my dad and his father built when I was a toddler. The stuff that's hanging in front is what's left of a shade my parents pull down when the sun sets brightly through our picture window.


Dad's beloved coy fish look like they were invaded by debris from the deck.


Looks like we lost some shingles. Hopefully, there are no leaks into our attic.


The front of our house looks amazing -- I really thought we were going to lose that big tree. I was worried it would fall into our home. Mom - do you think the face is still there? :)


Uh oh, Miss Kennedy is gonna be pissed.


The gate to our backyard looks like it was broken in two. I bet it was banging back and forth throught the storm.


See what I mean? We were very lucky. Other folks are ripping out their carpets, throwing away furniture and entire wardrobes, and sifting through what may have once been clutter and now is all they have left.

That reminds me, my mom said someone in Houston told her that if she has any water damage to photographs, she should freeze them. After they're a certain temperature, the grime and whatever else was in the flood waters will come right off. I hope that someone can use that tip before they throw away precious photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. I meant for you to post them on your site with all of your albums. Guess you can't do that since they are not your pictures.
Yes we were extremely lucky. We'll probably have to get rid of the freezer. It stunk. Had shrimp in that one! But except for the fence and a few roof tiles, we made out ok this time. Hope this is the last one for N.O. We can't take another one. The levees are weak.